A study of a 20-story, 392,000 square foot first class office building in downtown Montreal examined the 30 year life cycle costs of radiant vs. hydronic heat.
The building developer wanted an evaluation of alternative gas and electric perimeter heating systems for his proposed 532,500 square foot office building to be located in downtown Montreal.
An economic study based on DOE2 hourly energy simulation software was prepared by Robert P. Charette, P.Eng., a specialist in life cycle costing and a Certified Value Specialist (CVS).
- LOCATION: Montreal
- Heating Degree Days: 8450 ºF
- Gross Floor Area: 532,350 SF
- Perimeter area: 210,600 SF (40%)
- No of floors: 26
- Gross Floor Area per floor: 20,475 SF
- No of 15′ perimeter bays: 1040
- Total perimeter floor length: 15,600 linear feet
- All HVAC air systems VAV-gas heating
- Envelope Glazing area – 45%
- Electrical Rate: Schedule M Hydro Quebec
- 11.97 / KWD – 210,000 KWH @$0.0372 – balance @ $0.0242 / KWH
- Gas rate: $0.235/M3 = $0.0242/kwh net @ 70% efficiency
- Energy simulation software: DOE 2 with energy meters for the perimeter heating and monthly calculations of energy consumption, demand, and cost for gas and electricity.
- Life Cycle Costing Calculations: based on ASTM standards. i = 7 % ee = 5 % em = 4 % n = 30 years
Based on life cycle cost analysis, radiant ceiling panels were by far the best economical choice, both in terms of capital costs and operating costs.
Electric Radiant Ceiling Panels offered annual maintenance savings of $10,400 and annual energy savings of $11,510.
Will a Radiant Heating System Work for Your Project?
Let’s find out together.
We’re here to answer your questions, analyze your current heating system design and recommend the right heating solution for your project.
Call us at 866.457.4600 or simply click on the link below to submit your inquiry!